Eating artichokes may be sorta the way paleolithic people ate. You work on them for half an hour and get maybe 1 tablespoon of food. [joke] This recipe is worth it. They come out just perfect. However, you do have to plan well enough to get them started about 2 ½ hours before you want to eat. You could roast at the same time as parsnips.
- 4 artichokes. Ones that are partially open are best for this.
- 2 lemons, cut in half or however you like to squeeze the juice.
- Lots of chopped garlic.
- EVOO (Extra virgin olive oil.)
- Salt to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut the stems and tops off the artichokes.
- Trim off the sharp points
(Unless you want more of a caveman meal by getting your fingers stabbed as you eat.)
- Mix the chopped garlic and olive oil.
- Get aluminum foil pieces large enough to wrap a choke.
- Put a choke on a piece of foil.
- Spread the leaves apart.
- Put lots of garlic/oil on the top of each choke.
- Squeeze lots of lemon juice on each choke.
- Wrap the foil tightly around the choke.
- Put all the foil packets in a baking pan.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Let stand 20 minutes before eating.
No real need for anything to dip the leaves in. They are good straight.
Photo: Marina Shemesh, Artichoke