Zuppa Toscana, Cauliflower Kale Soup
Loosely based on the Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana. I have never had it but there are recipes online. Hits the spot on cold rainy nights. The recipe has heavy cream. If you don't do dairy, I would suggest pureeing the cauliflower for creaminess. I would not use coconut milk. But almond might work. Probably not. The ingredient list is sort of vague. Pretend you are Rachel Ray.
- Olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef, turkey or whatever.
- Leek. Maybe one med. (Slice and wash.)
- Garlic (Minced.)
- Red pepper flakes to taste.
- Thyme, a light sprinkle or to taste.
- Oregano. A little goes a long way.
- Mushrooms (Wiped and sliced.)
- 1 can of Eden Foods cannellini beans
- Chicken broth. Maybe a cup.
- Kale (Washed. Leaves torn off stems. Discard stems.) I used several handfulls of kale salad with carrots and cabbage.
- Cauliflower (Cut into small florets. Or run through food processor if you like.) Maybe 2 cups.
- Heavy cream. Maybe 1/2 cup.
- Parmesan cheese
- In soup pot, saute ground meat, in olive oil if necessary.
- Add olive oil and the next six ingredients. Saute.
- Add broth and beans, and heat.
- Add kale, lower heat some.
- Cook kale. Not too much.
- Add heavy cream.
- Heat gently until warm through.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if you like.